The Village at Sugar Land is a Missouri City TX retirement community like no other. Conveniently located just outside Houston, TX, The Village at Sugar Land provides residents with a wide range of living options and amenities, including numerous floor plans to choose from, elegant dining halls, a full calendar of events and activities, and great food. Our staff is dedicated to creating a healthy and inclusive environment for all our residents.
One of the most significant challenges seniors face when making the transition from home living to assisted care living is moving. Moving from one location to another is always a hassle no matter your age, but when you’re a senior, it can be incredibly difficult.
However, there are many steps seniors, and their families can take to make the moving process easier.
Preparing For Your Move to A Senior Living Community
The best way to make the moving process go as smoothly as possible is to plan for the move in advance. Your senior moving plan should include:
- Finding a senior community that fits your needs
- Reviewing the move-in procedures at your selected community.
- Developing a moving plan with a timeline and checklist of things that need to be done before, during, and after the move.
- Reviewing the floor plans of your new assisted living quarters to determine where to place your furniture and other belongings.
- Taking pictures of the items you plan to move to your new residence.
- Contacting a realtor about selling, renting, or leasing out your current residence.
Organization Makes The Move Easier
Getting organized is another way to minimize the hassles of moving. Here are a few tips that can help you get organized for the move to your new senior housing residence:
- Interview and hire a dependable mover. Schedule a date and time that is good for you.
- Coordinate the move with family members and management at the community you’re moving into. If necessary, consult with your doctor or other healthcare professional.
- Fill out your change of address forms
- Notify the utility company
- Perform an inventory of all your belongings
Downsizing When Moving Into a Continuing Care Facility
You’ve completed the inventory of your belongings, now comes the hard part – downsizing for the move.
One of the most challenging parts of moving from a home to a community is downsizing. It’s impossible to fit everything from a four – to a five-bedroom house into a single room assisted living apartment. Many seniors come to facilities after living for decades in a large, multi-bedroom house. Over the years, they’ve amassed quite a bit of personal property, and deciding what to take with them and what to leave behind can be difficult.
Once you’ve decided what you want to keep and what you don’t need, it’s time to decide what to do with the stuff you won’t be taking with you. Downsizing seniors have many options:
- Sell the items – depending on their value, you may want to consult a professional dealer or appraiser to get the best price.
- Gift them to friends and relatives
- Donate them to charity
- Put them into storage.
- Discard them
Packing For the Move
Now that you’ve completed your downsizing, it’s time to pack the items from your home that you want to take to your new residence.
While you may want to pack smaller, more valuable items (such as jewelry) yourself, you’ll need help with the bigger stuff. If friends and relatives are available, several moving companies offer specialized senior moving services in which they pack and move all your items for you.
Here are a few tips to help with the packing:
- Don’t overpack or overstuff boxes.
- Use the right-sized boxes.
- Securely bundle all breakable items.
- Place anything containing liquid in a separate plastic bag to catch any leaks.
- Place your clothes within trash bags to make them easier to move.
- Repurpose when possible: use laundry baskets, trash bins, and suitcases as boxes.
Once you’ve gotten rid of everything you don’t need and packed everything you do, you’ll be ready for the actual move.
Making the Move to a Missouri City TX Retirement Community
The actual moving day can be a hectic time. To ensure things go smoothly during the move, you’ll want to:
- Perform a final clean up and waste disposal of your old residence
- Inspect your new residence to make sure the place is move-in ready and that any special needs have been addressed
- Supervise the unpacking of your belongings at the new residence; review your inventory list to make sure all items have made it to the new residence
Once you’ve moved in all your stuff, take some time to make your new residence more like home:
- Arrange the furniture
- Set-up and connect any electronic devices
- Do your decorating – hanging pictures, putting keepsakes, mementos, etc. on display
- Purchase any households items you may need
- Dispose of the boxes and packing materials used during the move
We Make Your Move-In Easy
For seniors, moving can be a challenging experience, but a little preparation can make your move to an adult living residence much less complicated.
If you’re looking for quality senior care housing near Sugar Land, Quail Valley, Stafford, Cinco Ranch, Greatwood, Pecan Grove, Missouri City, Katy, or other Fort Bend County communities, get in touch with Missouri City TX retirement community The Village at Sugarland.
Our brand new facility at 2100 Village Living Court (just off the Grand Parkway) features a wide range of services and amenities, including numerous floor plans to choose from, delicious food, lots of fun events and activities to participate in, and safe, secure outdoor spaces. We’re dedicated to making your new residence a place you can call home.
We provide a wide range of senior care services, including assisted living, senior care, aged care memory care, hospice, health spa and resort, rehabilitation center, and home health care services.
Call us today to at (281) 729-8800 to schedule a tour of one of Missouri City’s newest and most elegant independent living communities, The Village at Sugar Land. You’ll be glad you searched for the Missouri City TX retirement community.
Missouri City TX Fun Facts:
- One of Texas’ first railroads operated out of Missouri City.
Missouri City has 20 developed parks, totaling 393 acres.
The Quail Valley Golf Course is considered to be one of the Houston area’s finest golf courses.
Missouri City is located in two counties – Harris and Fort Bend.
For more facts, visit here.